Chickpeas are not just Hummus, which can be quite "heavy" in the summer and unsettling for the digestive system.
If you look at a Chickpea, you will see that it resembles the shape of a brain and, surprisingly or not, Chickpeas are rich in the amino acid tryptophan which is involved in serotonin production and that may explain its ability to relax, improve sleep and and depression.
In addition, Chickpeas contain 29% protein and 50% of its carbohydrates are dietary fiber. It is also rich in iron and folic acid, has a low glycemic index and zero cholesterol, which makes it good for diabetics.
Revitha, the "local dish" of Sifnos (Greece), shows respect to the Chickpea with this light, tasty and nutritious stew that will not make your stomach explode (in the full sense).
My version is cooked with leek, celery, spinach, cherry tomatoes, garlic, spices and served with half a lemon squeezed just upon serving, which makes it even "lighter". I served it on millet, which in itself is a super-food and that's for another blog.
So what's in the dish?
0.5 kg dry (organic) Chickpeas 1 Chopped leek 2-3 celery stalks without leaves, chopped 4-5 cherry tomatoes A handful of spinach leaves 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed Spices: cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper Olive oil Serve with half a lemon Preparation time: about 180 minutes (cooking)
1. Soak the Chickpeas in the sun for about 24 hours with twice as much water and a teaspoon of baking soda. Less time is fine, but there will be more flatulation :) Rinse well.
2. In a saucepan with a little olive oil, stir the leek, add the celery, cherry tomatoes, garlic and spices.
3. Add Chickpeas, 1/4 cup olive oil and fill with water to cover the chickpeas. Bring to boil and then cover. Simmer for 2.5 hours.
4. Add the chopped spinach leaves. Stir and cover again. Cook for another 30 minutes.
5. Transfer to a plate and serve with half the lemon squeezed just upon serving.
6. Serve with quinoa, rice, millet, buckwheat, amaranth or pasta.
Yes, it requires planning, but it's very simple to prepare.
Have another healthy and delicious weekend. Enjoy! 054-6567959